4 large potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
– Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl.
– Drain off any excess liquid.
– Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper.
– Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
– Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
– Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
– Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes.
– Fry, turning once, until golden brown.
-Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time.
– Repeat until all potato mixture is used.
Big Boy Special Sauce
2 C Hellman’s Mayonaise
1/2 lemon, juice of
2 T. horseradish
2 T. minced onion
1/4 C. minced dill pickle/gherkins
1 clove garlic, minced
2 hard cooked eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1/3 C. catsup
– Mix all ingredients together, wisk till smooth.
– Of course you can use Low-fat mayo.
– Chill for 2 hours till all flavors combine.
Chili Cheese Fries
1 (32 ounce) package frozen seasoned french fries
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2 cups low-fat milk
1 tablespoon margarine
8 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans (such as Hormel®)
– Prepare french fries as directed on the package.
– Stir cornstarch and water in a small cup until cornstarch dissolves; set aside.
– Bring milk and margarine to a boil in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
– Reduce the heat and whisk the cornstarch mixture into the milk mixture.
– Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
– Cook and stir until the mixture is thick and smooth.
– Add the cheese to the milk mixture and stir until the cheese has melted and is well combined.
– Prepare chili as directed on the can.
– Pour the cooked chili and the cheese sauce over the top of the cooked french fries.
Garlic Mushroom and Swiss Burger
1.5 lbs 10% lean ground sirloin
1.5 lbs 15% lean ground beef
garlic pepper shopping list
1 T chopped garlic
1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
3 T grated parmesan
1 large white or yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tub fresh mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
1 T butter or margarine
Splash jack Daniels
1/2 c grated swiss cheese
1/2 c grated provolone cheese
1/2 C mayo
1 large clove garlic
1/2 T lemon juice
zest from 1/2 lemon (1/4-1/2 t)
1/2 t fresh rosemary
1/2 T fresh oregano
1T fresh basil
– Preheat grill to medium heat
– Mix all ingredients by hand in large mixing bowl
– Shape into 6 large patties (leaving edges uneven helps burger to cook more evenly inside)
– Grill 8-12 minutes per side to desired doneness
-TURNING ONLY ONCE
– Drizzle saute pan with evoo and add 1 T butter, worcestershire, and splash jack daniels
– Saute onions and mushrooms
– Fry slices of thick cut peppered bacon and crumble
– Mix bacon with mushrooms and onions
– Place mayo in a small food processor.
– Finely mince garlic, or press, and add to mayo.
– Add lemon zest then juice.
– Chop all herbs and add to mayo mixture.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER
– Spread insides of buns with melted butter and palce on grill for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned
– Top each burger while on the grill with onion/mushroom/bacon mixture, then each type of cheese
– Spread buns with mayo, top with burger and big slice of tomato
1/2 cup butter
1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
3 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
– Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
– Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
– Dredge in 3/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides.
– Set chicken aside, and drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
– Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, and carrots.
– Cook 5 minutes, until tender.
– Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more.
– Pour in the chicken broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper.
– Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
– Return chicken to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened.
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds ground beef
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 teaspoons dill pickle relish
6 hamburger buns, split
6 onion slices
6 tomato slices
– In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
– Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
– Shape into 12 thin patties.
– Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
– In a small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, mustard and relish; mix well.
– Spoon 2 tablespoons on each burger.
– Return to the broiler just until cheese softens.
– Serve on buns with lettuce, onion and tomato.
Caramel Banana Hotcakes
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
2 small bananas
olive oil cooking spray
– Sift flour into a bowl.
– Add 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
– Whisk egg and milk in a jug.
– Stir into flour mixture until just combined.
– Mash 1 banana and stir into flour mixture.
– Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
– Spray lightly with oil. Using 2 tablespoons batter per hotcake
– Cook hotcakes 2 at a time for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
-Turn over and cook for 2 minutes or until golden.
– Remove to a plate.
– Cover and keep warm.
– Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan with oil between batches.
– Add remaining 2 teaspoons brown sugar to frying pan.
– Stir in 1/2 cup warm water.
– Cook, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
– Slice remaining banana into 12 pieces and add to frying pan.
– Cook for 1 minute or until just warmed through.
– Remove from heat.
-Turn banana to coat in sauce.
– Place 2 hotcakes on each plate.
-Top with banana and spoon over sauce.
Classic Eggs Benedict
6 English muffins $
12 slices (7 oz. total) Canadian bacon $
12 warm perfect poached eggs $
2 1/2 cups lightly packed watercress sprigs, rinsed
– Split muffins in half horizontally and arrange in a single layer, cut sides up, on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet.
– Lay bacon slices in a single layer in a 10- by 15-inch pan.
– In a 450° oven, bake muffins and bacon until browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
– Place 2 muffin halves, cut sides up, on each plate.
– Lay 1 bacon slice on each muffin half.
– Set 1 egg on each slice of bacon.
– Spoon hollandaise equally over portions.
– Arrange watercress next to muffins.
Sunrise Slim Jim
6 ounces thinly sliced Virginia baked ham
3 ounces thinly sliced natural Swiss cheese
1 (6- or 8-inch) hoagie or sub-style sandwich roll
4 thin tomato slices
sandwich sauce or Thousand Island salad dressing
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
– Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat.
– Butter the inside of the sandwich roll, both top and bottom, and lightly brown on the griddle.
– Remove bread from griddle.
– On the bottom of the sandwich roll arrange (in order) ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato.
– Spread the top of the roll with sandwich sauce and place on top of the assembled sandwich.
– Place sandwich on griddle (bottom down) and weight with a heavy metal pan lid.
– Grill sandwich until the cheese melts.
– Cut in half, garnish with a dill pickle spear and serve with potato chips or hand-cut french fries.
1 teaspoon sugar, optional
1 cup milk
10 to 12 slices white bread
maple syrup or other syrup
– Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate.
– Beat lightly with a fork. Stir in sugar, salt, and milk.
– Over medium-low heat, heat griddle or skillet coated with a thin layer of butter or margarine.
– Place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds.
– Turn to coat the other side.
– Soak/coat only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time.
– Transfer bread slices to griddle or skillet, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown.
-Turn and brown the other side.
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teasooon salt
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
– In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
– In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
– Beat egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl.
– Add milk and melted butter.
– Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients
– Mix until batter is smooth and stir in blueberries.
– Fold in beaten egg whites.
– Bake on hot greased griddle.